Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Guarding the goods



Now that the cherry tree is in full-fruit, I have to be especially vigilant when I go out for morning patrol. The air is full of thieves on wings, especially those pesky blue jays, who are always rooting around in my tree.
This morning, a big bold one sat on the arbor just staring at me with its beady black eyes, hopping up and down and daring me to come after it. Of course, I can't reach very high, so all I could do was stare it down.
Then it winked in a saucy fashion and hopped onto the tree and started eating cherries left and right. I hate that! It doesn't even eat the whole cherry, it just pecks one bite and spits out the rest. It's wasteful! I eat the whole thing.
Mami was nice enough to pick some cherries for me and share them, but the whole time I kept my eye on that jay, ready to give him the business if he came anywhere within a foot of the ground.

No comments: