Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Pretending


I've been thinking about the things I learn around humans, especially when I'm at parties or other gatherings were lots of humans are bopping around and talking to each other. I've decided that the biggest difference between dogs and humans when it comes to being around each other is that dogs never pretend they feel something that they don't.
For instance, when I decided I didn't like Spanky the other day, it took me only a second or so to decide, and once I made up my mind, I started growling to show how I felt. That doesn't mean that I won't change my mind again and like him someday, and when I do, I'll give him a wag and a smile. But I showed him how I felt right away.
That's not what humans do. Mami calls it being polite, but I can smell when people don't like each other, and I can hear it in their voices, but they still smile instead of growl, and they don't chase each other or put their ears down.
Why is that? How come humans pretend they want to play and show their bellies, when actually they'd rather take a swipe or turn their backs? It seems kind of silly to me. I think dogs have a better attitude. We may make snap judgements, but at least we're up front about it.
As for me, I like pretty much everybody. I might even like Spanky the next time we meet. I'll give him a second chance. But I'll tell you right now, I won't fake it!

No comments: