Wednesday, March 15, 2006

On smallness


I am a very small dog. Some people call me 'wee.' Some people aren't even sure I am a dog. I have been accused of being various things, including a mouse, and someone called me a rat in Spanish once (they didn't know my Papi taught me some Spanish and I knew what they were saying).
It used to make me sad when people on the street would go 'Hey killer, hey tiger,' when they saw me, because I knew they were making fun of how small I am. They think that I am not a fierce dog.
Well, it's true, I'm not fierce. I love everyone and I wouldn't want to bark and bite. That's not what makes a dog! Dogs are loving and loyal and funny and furry and they come in all different shapes and sizes. It doesn't matter that fire hydrants tower over me, or that I tremble when a big schnauzer walks by. It doesn't matter that my growl is very small, and so are my teeth.
My chihuahua ancestors were sacred to the Aztecs, and before that, they might have come over the land bridge from Asia. They are depicted in artwork, and their little tiny bones were found alongside those of great people.
My poodle ancestors were very big dogs that were bred for hunting and as companions. They were great swimmers and were very, very smart. That's why so many "hybrid" dogs are mixed with poodles, because of their intelligence. Don't let the poofy haircuts fool you.
So anyway, I'm just saying to all those people out there who make fun of small dogs, please don't. We may be tiny, but we have very big hearts.

No comments: