Thursday, April 27, 2006

What's in a name?


Lately, there's been a lot of talk about hybrid dogs, or should I say, specialized mixed breed dogs, like puggles (pug beagles) and dorgies (corgie daschunds), that are getting pretty trendy. I understand that there's even an official "Hybrid" organization that grants these mixed breed dogs their special hybrid name.
While, as a mixed breed myself, I'm pleased that we're being taken seriously, I wonder at these official organizations trying to lay claim to what is essentially a bunch of non-papered little mutts like myself, who may be cuter than your average poodle, but aren't really recognized as a real breed. I also question the names they give us. For instance, the American Canine Hybrid Club calls chihuahua poodles "Wapoos."
I think this is just silly. Who wants a wapoo? I've been called a poohuahua before, and even that's a little shaky, but it makes a lot more sense than wapoo. Frankly, as a self-identified choodle, I'm not impressed with some group trying to call me a wapoo. I was born, am now and will always be a choodle.
Viva la choodle!

No comments: